Sunday, March 9, 2008

Peace No War

I spent so much time shuttling between acupuncture, physiotherapy and rehabilitative exercises that I had to sneak in time to make this small bag. The problem with sewing nowadays is that I could only sew in 1/2 hourly duration so as not to aggravate my muscles. I can honestly say this is the toughest bag I've ever sewn. Small is harder to make! Plus I chose to do bias binding once again and something new - gusset. Why do I punish myself so? In terms of structure this bag is really simple as it just consists of rectangular pieces of fabric.

This is how it all started. Pieces of rectangles. First the pocket...


Next I work in the gusset to the front piece.

Then the gusset gets joined to the back piece.


This is the fun part. Cut outs.


Can you see a man and a child behind the cut out? Camouflage. Geddit?


Here is where I hide the handles and closure


My son took this photo


I wish my sewing had been better for this bag. I got a little wobbly after a while. I left the bag unlined because the fabric was quite stiff and I doubted if I could handle another layer of fabric. I did line the front only to cover the cut out. The bias binding was tough especially round the corners. Really hard. Still, I'm very pleased with the result.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI, i love this bag.. I like the shape... do you have the pattern to share?? I will love to give it a try.

jane p said...

hey guaya. i did not use any pattern for this bag. just pieces of rectangular fabric. i just figure it out as i went along.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2