Thursday, September 15, 2016

A drawstring pouch for a suona

One day, my son came home from school and asked me casually if I have any spare lunchtime pouch lying around. Yes, lying around.

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/77006850/drawstring-pouch-bag-sewing-pattern-and?ref=shop_home_active_5
He's referring to this lunchtime pouch which I used to sell at craft markets years ago and I have a pattern for it at my Etsy shop.

My son is in his school's Chinese Orchestra and he plays the suona.
This is a regular size suona. It has a mouthpiece but it's not shown in the image above. To carry it around, the wooden piece is kept in a long plastic tube thingy while the metal horn is kept in a drawstring pouch.

My son currently plays a larger size suona.
Actually it's huge. It comes in a big sturdy trunk.

Anyway, I have no idea how it came about, but my son wanted to either sell or give a girl in his Chinese Orchestra a lunchtime pouch to keep her suona metal horn.

But I don't have any lunchtime pouch lying around. Seriously I don't. Well, except the one I made for my pattern and that one I'm taking to my grave.

So I offered to make her one. That was a while ago. Having stopped sewing for so long due to my previously on-going saga with my digestive health, I found it hard to start sewing. Finally one day, I felt ready to start sewing and then my gallbladder incident happened. Last week, I felt I had fully recovered from my surgery and I started measuring the horn and it didn't take me too long to complete the pouch.

I used a linen polka dot I have lying around and for the lining, a big polka dot cotton I have remnants of from my craft market days.
It's a little different from my lunchtime pouch. Just a bit.


It's more important it fits the horn.

 For no particular reason, Bear wanted to make an appearance.

As you can see, I'm abusing Bear again.

And here's the new owner of the pouch. Hope she likes it!

2 comments:

Sandra :) said...

It's so nice to see you sewing again, Jane - I'm glad your health has improved to a level where you can do some fun stuff! Cute bag - the recipient looks very pleased with it :D

Tammy said...

Nice! I like how your son thought of an out-of-the-box use for one of your bags.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2