Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Jayeon Bread Part II


Hey, remember the raisin starter I made in my Jayeon bread post? I baked two more items from the book.

This is Hottoek, a Korean pancake. The recipe uses glutinous rice flour. I followed the recipe except for the pine nuts and cinnamon and managed to achieve this. The taste was awesome. The dough was extremely hard to handle. Very, very sticky. Unfortunately, I got sick the next day because I can't eat glutinous rice. It jams up my digestive system. If I were to make it again, I would skip the glutinous rice flour.

I used some of the starter to make pancakes. I wasn't really expecting much because it's pancakes. I added blueberries which kept popping out of the batter. How do you get the blueberries to stay in the batter while it's cooking? The taste was better than expected!

Do you know Peaceful Cuisine from youtube? He is Ryoya, a hipster vegan from Japan. He has a video for raisin starter bread, very similar to Jayeon bread recipe. I used my raisin starter to make his whole wheat bread. Videos here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

 
My results weren't very good. I thought my dough was a bit dry but somehow I failed to address it and popped it in the oven. No surprise the bread looked dry. Taste wise, my Jayeon bread was better.

Remember my Alex Goh's bread I made from Magic Bread? I used my Jayeon starter to bake the sweet buns and to my surprise, the buns turned out a lot smaller. I think the reason is I did not let my dough bulk ferment in the fridge. Anyway, the buns taste very similar to the sweet buns made without the starter. I'm chasing the taste now and if it makes no difference I would not bother going to the trouble of using the Jayeon starter.

After feeding the Jayeon starter a few more times, I realised that the resulting bread tastes sour. It seems the older the starter, the more sour it gets. I decided I didn't like the taste of the sourness so I abandoned my Jayeon bread starter. Maybe later I may go back and explore it some more. Meanwhile my eyes have caught another shiny object. Can you guess what it is?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2